River of Life Assembly of God, also known as Belleville Assembly of God, and the Italian Pentecostal Assembly of God Church is celebrating 95 years of serving our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, His people and the greater Belleville community. The congregation had its humble beginnings in the home of Joseph D’Angelo in 1920. Reverend Louis Tarentino was named its first pastor and served faithfully for 27 years.
Before World War II, the congregation had outgrown its mission room on Williams Street and began to raise funds to construct a church home. The present building at the corner of Holmes Street and Hornblower Avenue in Belleville was constructed and completed in 1952. Many of the members, being builders and craftsmen by trade, did all of the work on the church building which took two years to complete. In 1955, Reverend Anthony Di Quattro was named as the church’s first permanent pastor.
In the early 2000’s, Reverend Randy Nichols was appointed by the N.J. District of the Assemblies of God to help revitalize Belleville Assembly of God. The church was renamed River of Life Assembly of God to reflect this change of direction and focus. In October 2007, Reverend Octavio Rivera, Jr. was unanimously elected pastor of the congregation. God has blessed and given us a vision of reaching the Belleville area and the surrounding communities with the love and grace of Jesus Christ, renewing minds and families and releasing God’s people to impact this community and the world. After 95 years of service, River of Life Assembly of God being “AIRBORNE” continues to thrust onward as directed by God’s Holy Spirit with an atmosphere of warmth and friendliness, and with a growing church family and community to call its own. At River of Life Assembly of God, we believe that since Jesus is in charge, “THE BEST IS STILL TO COME!!!”